Summery Shrimp and Grits
Summery Shrimp and Grits
Who doesn’t love a good shrimp dish? It’s packed with flavor thanks to the amazing Dash Original Seasoning Blend, the fresh herbs and veggies, and savory turkey bacon. Of course, it’s served over creamy grits to top it all off. Credit: Joy Bauer
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Featured Product:
- Original Blend
- 2 slices turkey bacon, finely diced
- 1 large stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeds removed, diced
- 2 tsp. Original Blend
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste (optional)
- 1⁄8 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 c. reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- 1 tsp. Clabber Girl Corn Starch
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 ½ c. low-fat milk
- 1 c. corn grits
- 1⁄3 to ½ c. sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 pinch Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ c. reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the turkey bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the celery, bell pepper, and onion. Cooking, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, Mrs. Dash seasoning, optional cayenne, and smoked paprika. Cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 cup of broth and bring to boil. Arrange the shrimp evenly over the mixture and reduce heat to medium. Allow the shrimp to cook for about 3 minutes or until they start to turn pink, flipping halfway through to completely coat the shrimp in the sauce.
- In a separate small bowl mix the remaining 2 tablespoons of broth and cornstarch. Drizzle over the shrimp mixture. Cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through and the broth is slightly reduced. Finish with scallions and fresh parsley before serving.
- In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk and broth to a gentle simmer. While whisking, slowly pour the grits into the hot liquid.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking often until the grits become thick and creamy, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat to whisk in the cheese and freshly ground pepper.
- To serve, transfer the grits to each bowl and top evenly with shrimp. Enjoy!